Resources

Berliner Journal

Between the years 1820 and 1870, 50,000 to 60,000 German immigrants settled in Upper Canada and the Ottawa Valley. Many of the immigrants came from southwest Germany, where the practice of dividing inheritances and the influx of products from industrial England had created economic upheaval, resulting in the emigration of 1.7 million German people. Upper Canada became a home for many immigrants originally en route to the United States, or displaced from their homeland for economic reasons. These people settled in places such as Berlin and Strasberg in Waterloo County in Upper Canada.

Among the many German-language newspapers established in Upper Canada was Das Berliner Journal, a weekly newspaper founded by German immigrants Friedrich Rittinger and John Motz in Berlin, Ontario in 1859. After its merger with the Ontario Glocke (Ontario Bell) in 1904, the Berliner took over three more newspapers in the following five years, resulting in a peak circulation of 5,000 in 1909. In 1916, it was the sole remaining German-language newspaper in Ontario.

In order to foster a sense of community and encourage immigrants to retain their German language and culture, the Berliner promoted German newspapers, schools, associations, and churches; printed stories pertaining to events in Europe and Germany; and advertised local German cultural events. The paper also helped new immigrants to adapt to life as Canadians through its coverage of local events and its reports on Canadian laws, customs, politics and the workings of government. In later years the focus changed increasingly to local events.

In 1916, the city of Berlin’s name was changed to Kitchener as a result of anti-German sentiment caused by the First World War. Although the Berliner opposed this name change, it eventually changed its own name to the Ontario Journal in 1917. On October 2, 1918, the Canadian government issued an Order-in-Council banning the publication of German-language newspapers, resulting in the cessation of the journal’s publication in German. At that time, circulation of the journal had fallen to 3,198. It was resurrected as an English-language weekly until 1924, and then published daily until 1971. Issues of the Berliner Journal in German dating from 1880 to 1916 have been digitized and are made available here.

Collection contributed by: Simon Fraser University Library

Search the Berliner Journal

Browse the Berliner Journal

Berliner Journal

Entre 1820 et 1870, environ 50 000 à 60 000 immigrants allemands se sont installés dans la vallée d’Ottawa du Haut-Canada. Plusieurs de ces immigrants étaient originaires du sud-ouest de l’Allemagne, où la tradition de division des héritages et l’afflux de biens produits par l’Angleterre industrielle avaient provoqué des troubles économiques et l’émigration de 1,7 million d’Allemands. Le Haut-Canada est devenu le pays d’accueil de nombreux immigrants qui prévoyaient originalement se rendre aux Etats-Unis, ou qui furent forcés de quitter leur pays pour des raisons économiques. Ces gens se sont installés à Berlin et Strasberg dans le comté de Waterloo, entre autres.

Parmi les nombreux journaux de langue allemande publiés dans le Haut-Canada figurait le Das Berliner Journal, un journal hebdomadaire fondé en 1859 par les immigrants allemands Friedrich Rittinger et John Motz à Berlin, en Ontario. Après avoir fusionné avec l’Ontario Glocke (Ontario Bell) en 1904, le Berliner a pris le contrôle de trois autres journaux dans les cinq années suivantes, pour un tirage total de 5 000 exemplaires en 1909. En 1916, il était devenu l’unique journal de langue allemande en Ontario.

En vue de stimuler un sentiment d’appartenance à la communauté et d’encourager les immigrants à conserver leur langue et leur culture allemandes, le Berliner promouvait les journaux, les écoles, les associations et les églises allemands, il publiait des articles sur certains événements en Europe et en Allemagne, et il publicisait des événements culturels locaux allemands. Le journal aidait aussi les nouveaux immigrants à s’adapter à la vie canadienne en traitant des actualités locales et en publiant des articles sur les lois, les coutumes et la politique canadiennes, ainsi que sur le fonctionnement du gouvernement. Plus tard, le journal a modifié son point de mire pour se concentrer sur les actualités locales.

En 1916, la ville de Berlin est devenue Kitchener en raison des sentiments anti-allemands s’étant installés après la première guerre mondiale. Le Berliner s’est opposé au changement de nom, mais il a éventuellement modifié son propre titre pour devenir le Ontario Journal en 1917. Le 2 octobre 1918, la publication de journaux dont les articles étaient en langue allemande fut bannie par décret du gouvernement canadien. Par conséquent, le journal a cessé de publier des articles en allemand. À cette époque, le tirage du journal n’était que de 3 198 numéros. Il fut ressuscité sous forme d’hebdomadaire de langue anglaise jusqu’à 1924, puis il est devenu un quotidien jusqu’à 1971. Les numéros du Berliner Journal en allemand datant de 1880 à 1916 ont été numérisés et sont désormais disponibles.

La collection est une contribution de la bibliothèque de l’Université Simon Fraser

Search the Berliner Journal

Browse the Berliner Journal